Thursday 27 February 2014

Lisbon nights


We grab a few days away over the school break, and travel to the coast of Portugal and then south to Lisbon. I've been given a set of four warm grey double-pointed Promarker pens, and am still not sure how to use them to best effect.
This view of the square at Rossio from across the road from our hotel one evening (while the others slept, read and revised) is a case of trying to find out how I can use them with the black pens that go everywhere with me. That feeling of now knowing quite what you're doing can be an enjoyable one. Which pen do I reach for when I put another down? What makes things go forward and back? When to use the chisel point or the bullet point? How much tonal range is needed? Which restaurant are we eating at tonight?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you conquered the pens well!

James Hobbs said...

Well, thanks, Sue. I have a few more blundering attempts that I haven't posted, of course.

Angie Willis said...

Hi James
I've often wanted to explore marker pens but the main problem seems to be that they bleed right through the page of most sketchbooks and onto the next one as well. Did you use a marker pad?

James Hobbs said...

Hi Angie. Yes, they do bleed through sketchbook pages all the time - I have sheets of rough paper that I put behind the page I'm drawing on to stop the interference on the next pristine page. Apart from the range of random dots, I often scribble notes, try out pens and leave lists for myself on these sheets. (Sometimes they end up more interesting than the drawings.)
There are times I forget to use these sheets. The aim then is to incorporate any leaking dots on the next page into the drawing so they aren't visible.

Isabel said...

tricky things those markers you're doing well with them also liked the one you posted in usk

James Hobbs said...

Thanks, Isabel. I'll scan a couple more soon.